On the banks of the Hudson River, everyone can see an abandoned train station, where nature has prevailed over concrete and steel.
The Romanesque red brick structure of the Terminal, New Jersey's central railroad on the Hudson River, hides some of the most accessible urban ruins in the New Jersey area. The railway shed on the other side of the terminal has been abandoned since 1967, and trees sprout through its open roof, where light falls on empty railway tracks. The terminal has been restored and serves as a museum as well as a starting point for ferries to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, but the railways have been abandoned to fend for themselves.
The terminal was built in 1889, at the height of the New Jersey Central Railroad, and was used by millions of passengers a year. Many United States immigrants arrived through this terminal. Unfortunately, the Great Depression hit hard, as did the growth of the automotive industry, and the downturn in business activity led to the closure of the terminal in 1967.